Base layers provide women a guard against the weather while offering a simple, effective solution to regulating body heat as they move about their day. Made from lightweight Merino wool, women’s base layers come in a variety of thickness and styles that are alternated according to seasonal needs. Knowing which style is the right match for which season or situation is the first step when it comes to investing in the right base layers for you.
During the warmer weather, women’s base layers work to keep sweat off the body and outer clothing while keeping the body cool through evaporative cooling. There are two main styles to choose from:
• Short sleeve base layers for women are perfect for wearing beneath business shirts and jackets. Made from ultra-fine, lightweight Merino wool, they are worn close fitting to the body in order to help absorb moisture vapour and create a seamless finish.
• Vests and sleeveless shirts are slim-fitting, preventing excessive sweating and keep the body cool. These are ideal for wearing while engaging in outdoor activities and sports such as cycling or under more casual looks, their lack of sleeving and deeper necks make them perfect for wearing under more casual clothing.
When the weather cools, base layers can regulate body heat while protecting the body from the cold. As such, thicker varieties that offer a more complete covering of the body are preferred during this season.
• Long sleeve base layers for women can be worn easily beneath your shirts and blouses or even on their own in some cases. Slightly heavier Merino wool, although still lightweight and comfortable, will provide additional warmth while absorbing any moisture vapour that the body produces thus keeping you comfortable all day long.
• Leggings, either in the form of more lightweight underwear, short legged pants or thicker activewear, can be worn beneath cotton jeans or trousers as an additional layer against the cold weather.
• All-in-one layers are reserved for more severe winter weather conditions or for outdoor activities that require a more thorough protection.
• Skirting and dresses can come in either short lengths or longer lengths to fit the shape of the outer garments. Made from soft, supple Merino wool they are a seamless protection against the cold that won’t interrupt the silhouette of your outfit.