- Total population 28.0 million (Belgium 10.8 million, The Netherlands 16.7 million, Luxembourg 0.5 million).
- Due to the economic crisis, the past 6 years have showed a decrease in garment sales. The total turnover in 2013 was 4% less than in 2012. For 2015 stabilization or a small increase is predicted. 88% of garment purchases are via in-store and 12% online, with almost all retailers combining in-store with online.
- Consumers place a high-value on authenticity, individuality and sustainability.
- Price is still an important value, but a growing group of consumers is looking for more sustainable choices (30% of food bought in supermarkets is organic).
Opportunity for Wool
- Consumer-focused activity, supporting knitwear in particular will be a priority. Towards the consumer we have to work in two ways:
- 1. Add value to the idea about wool and work with high fashion designers and brands.
- 2. Work with brands/retailers that have significant market share to support them to sell more wool.
- The Netherlands also has an emerging global influence in the urban sector with it being home to G-Star.